Spring is here, and National Bike Month, (May), is fast approaching!
Here is an overview of things we have planned for promoting bicycling as a safe and attractive means of transportation and recreation in northern Arizona this year:
- Flagstaff Bike to Work and School Week 2018– Join us, the City of Flagstaff, and your friends an neighbors for this annual, city-wide celebration of cycling! Check the schedule for the week of May 20-25 here.
- 2018 Trail Days– We have 9 events this year and have added a new sponsor. Pencil in some dates on your calendar and come help us maintain and build your favorite trails!
- Fort Tuthill Bike Park- We have been awarded a Recreation Trails Program Grant by Arizona State Parks for nearly $80,000, and Coconino County has also received a Land and Water Conservation Fund Grant. We will be using this funding to add new features and trails at the Fort Tuthill Bike Park this summer.
- Flagstaff Trails Initiative– As a founding core-team member for this effort, we will not only be advocating on behalf of bicycling features and access on our local trails system, but we have been participating in coordinating this outreach effort. The FTI has held one stakeholders meeting, we are planning another, and have begunb to form focus groups. There will be public involvement in the future, and we’ll keep you apprised. Check the link to get an overview of this effort to take Flagstaff’s trails from good to great!
- Bike Rodeos with Coconino SafeKids and Coconino County Health Services District- We will again be assisting in promoting safe cycling practices to the kids in our community’s schools.
- Flagstaff Trail Faeries– We are helping to facilitate this program with the Flagstaff Ranger District of the Coconino National Forest. A select crew of trained volunteers will be acting as a “strike team” helping to maintain and build trails on the District. FBO will be providing support for these folks and the US Forest Service in the way of providing uniforms, trail tools, administrative assistance and other support.
- Staying abreast of general Flagstaff area bicycle advocacy concerns and keeping you up-to-date. As we have for over 16 years, we will be attending meetings, writing letters, making phone calls, and staying engaged on behalf of all cyclists in northern Arizona!
Thank you for your support! Join us throughout the year and help us in our mission to “Promote bicycling as a safe and attractive means of transportation and recreation in northern Arizona”!