* ATTENTION ALL BICYCLISTS * After nearly 3 years of road construction in Sedona AZ, the road work is going to be finished and the town is having a party! As part of the festivities that will be happening throughout Sedona (Friday-Saturday, August 20 & 21), the Verde Valley Cyclists Coalition is sponsoring a SATURDAY MORNING BIKE RIDE. We are inviting the entire cycling community in the Southwest and beyond to come join us and ride the new road through some of the most incredible red rock landscapes in the world. The VVCC lobbied long and hard, and with a coalition formed of community leaders and ADOT managers, we were successful in getting bike lanes added to the newly completed roadway between the Village of Oak Creek and the city of Sedona. Come ride with the VVCC on Saturday morning through the rolling hills of Sedona and enjoy a town that is becoming a bicycling mecca for both roadies and mountain bikers.
START TIME: Saturday, August 21, 2010 – 8:00am sharp
BEGIN/END LOCATION: Rear parking lot behind the VOC Outlet Shops. Corner of Jacks Canyon Rd & Cortez
TWO GROUPS TO CHOOSE FROM (both leave and end from the rear parking lot of the VOC Outlet Shops):
• GROUP 1 – Beginner to intermediate riders. Casual pace with several rest stops along the way. Will leave the VOC Outlet Shop rear parking lot and travel SR179 into the city of Sedona, west on SR89A, up to the first stop light and go right up to the parking lot behind Judi’s Restaurant. Approximately 20 miles round-trip.
• GROUP 2 – Moderate to more advanced riders. Faster paced ride (14-16 mph) and longer mileage with few rest stops. Will leave the VOC Outlet Shops rear parking lot and travel out Jacks Canyon Road through Pine Valley and back. Will then follow SR179 into Sedona, west on SR89A, up to the first stop light and go right up to the parking lot behind Judi’s Restaurant. Approximately 26 miles round-trip.
• BOTH GROUPS will rendezvous at the parking lot behind Judi’s Restaurant in the city of Sedona between 9:30am -10:00am. As a unified group we will ride up the rather steep climb of Airport Road to the Sedona Airport, where we will rest and watch the VIP Opening Ceremonies which begin at approximately 10:15am.
• At the conclusion of the VIP Opening Ceremonies, the VVCC Road Ride participants will return through the city of Sedona, down SR179 and back to the Village of Oak Creek.
HELMETS ARE MANDATORY & a signed ride waiver will be requested.
BRING PLENTY OF WATER/FLUIDS to stay hydrated.
Come ride your bicycle on the newly completed bike lanes of SR 179, and enjoy scenery like no other. Even better, make it a weekend trip and enjoy everything about Sedona Red Rock Country.